Kasekuchen Kruzin'

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sunday, May 14, 2006 -Mother’s Day: Shearwater to Bottleneck Cove.

Awoke to one of those breathtakingly beautiful mornings. Left Shearwater at 7:15. We were leary of Milbank Sound because the McCloskey’s had written that they had a very rough crossing through there. It was really flat calm. Right at the entrance at 9:10 a grey whale spouted then breached right in front of Maizel’s. What a thrill!!! No one I’ve ever talked to gets tired of seeing whales in the wild.

I decided to make a banana cake for Mother’s Day. As the cake was baking, I made an observation that I really liked calm cruising. I have determined that I can withstand a rough crossing but I really don’t like it. My perfect cruising day is one where we are cruising along and it is calm enough to be baking, or cleaning, or working on my blog.

We arrived at Bottleneck Cove at 1 p.m. We took down the kayak and I peddled over to Maizel’s to get Susanna to kayak with me. She also has a Hobie Mirage (peddle, paddle or sail). They had never had their’s in the water so it was a great thrill for her. We kayaked around this beautiful, calm, secluded cove as the seals watched, rather perplexed, at these creatures paddling quietly in their home.

Susanna in her kayak at Bottleneck Cove

The end of the bay was fed by a lovely stream where we just stopped and listened to the water fall over the rocks. (see photo) Susanna and I lamented on our incredible joy in being there. Bob and Jake took our crab pots out and JP (Maizel’s wonderful Golden Retriever) needed a shore break. Bob announced over the VHF that he was making duck for dinner. That sounded great!!

Chris (my son) called on the SAT phone to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day. I called my mom to wish her one. My sister’s and her had gone to Pine Knoll in Lake Mills for brunch and then shopping. A perfect day for mom. We went to bed very early. A little after 10 p.m. – Kim called and woke me out of a sound sleep. Very unusual for me to be asleep at 10 p. m. She had forgotten that she could get us on the SAT phone. So it was a perfect day in paradise.

Note from the blogmaster: This is a draft. Photos pending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Site Meter